In one pot, make delicious spiced Mexican quinoa and serve with avocado and cilantro over a salad, in a tortilla, or on its own.
By Laney Schwartz
Life seems to get so crazy busy sometimes, and it’s important that we remember to fuel our bodies! This Easy Mexican Spiced Quinoa is the perfect quick and easy meal, even for the busiest day of the week.
It’s totally versatile, packed with flavor, and makes great leftovers. Throw everything into one pot and go.
Top with avocado and cilantro for color and a last punch of flavor and you’re ready to eat in 30 minutes.
Easy Mexican Spiced QuinoaLaney Schwartz
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bell pepper small diced
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. Add the garlic, peppers, black beans, tomatoes, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the quinoa and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and serve with desired toppings. Adding a big squeeze of fresh lime will really help bring out all the flavors!
Laney spends her time being a home cook, mom, wife, workout junkie, and ultra crazy food lover.