Enjoy this fantastic chocolate banana oat bars recipe from Kelsey Hilts.
By Kelsey Hilts
- 1 cup low-fat Greek or plain yogurt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup wheat germ (or all-purpose flour)
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups whole oats
- 1½ cups mashed banana (roughly 3 bananas)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Mix the yogurt and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Mix in the flours, baking soda, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Then mix in the oats and finally the banana.
- For bars, line a 9×13-inch pan and an 8×8-inch pan with foil and pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes at 375 degrees until the top springs back to the touch. (For moist bars, make sure not to overbake as the bars will set a bit as they cool.)
- For cookies, drop the cookie dough by tablespoonful on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Kelsey Hilts is the founder of Itsy Bitsy Foodies, an online resource for families looking for ways to spend more time together enjoying food and exploring the world beyond the children’s menu.