The caramelization of the sugars in the apples and the cauliflower creates sweet and smokey flavors without too many ingredients.
By Mariela Alvarez Toro
- 3 large Golden Delicious or Ginger Gold apples
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4.5 cups of vegetable stock or water
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Olive oil
- Green onions
- Baby spinach or kale leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice apples into 2-3 inch pieces. Slice cauliflower in half and remove its core. Chop into rough florets.
- Place apples, cauliflower, and garlic in a baking sheet. Sprinkle salt and drizzle olive oil over the vegetables. Toss until everything is evenly coated. Roast for 30-35 minutes. Apples and cauliflower chunks should be cooked through and golden around the edges.
- Transfer these into a blender with vegetable stock or water. Puree, in batches if necessary) until velvety smooth.
- Transfer these into a large pot and reheat over low temperature until hot.
- Serve into bowls and garnish using any, or all of the above mentioned ingredients. Eat immediately.
Recently graduated with from Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design. She has recently completed "People in Food-Space", an ethnographic study on the cultural production of taste in space. She has also examined post-soviet food production systems and housing projects in Havana, Cuba. Originally from Puerto Rico, Mariela has been living in the United States for eight years. She has involved herself in both teaching and practice, while writing on food at tastyplan.com. Her goal as a food writer is to cook creatively, using the best ingredients to find new flavor combinations every day.