The Mandal / Hsu Family family loves this recipe because it is flavorful, warms from inside, and is quick and simple to prepare with ingredients they usually have on hand. It’s always a crowd-pleaser. Read more recipes from the Wildwood Family Cookbook here. Bon Appetit!Print
The Mandal & Hsu Family’s Instant Pot Moroccan Chicken
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: African
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp coriander
- salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 –2 pounds bonesless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion halved and sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp water
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Suggested accompaniment: long grain rice
- Combine paprika, cumin, ginger, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels, then place in the bowl with the spices. Coat chicken with the spices.
- Plug in the Instant Pot (IP) with insert in place and set to SAUTE.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the IP. Add half of the seasoned chicken thighs, skin side down, and cook without moving until lightly browned. Flip chicken and continue to cook until the second side is golden. Transfer browned chicken to a plate and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken thighs. Place all browned chicken back into the IP.
- Add onion and water to the IP. Cook, scraping the brown bits on the bottom until the onion has softened and begins to brown.
- Add the minced garlic, garbanzo beans, bay leaves, and chicken broth to the IP.
- Secure the lid of the IP and make sure the valve is set to SEALING.
- Press MANUAL and set the cook time to 20 minutes on HIGH pressure.
- When the IP beeps after pressure cooking for 20 minutes, allow your IP to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the display reflects 5 (which is 5 minutes since the IP has beeped) all pressure should have naturally released. If not, turn the setting on top of your IP to VENTING to quickly release any remaining pressure.
- Open up your IP when the pin has dropped (allow a few minutes for this to happen).
- Stir, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: scoop chicken and sauce over rice, and sprinkle with cilantro.
Keywords: Solstice 2020
Photo Credit: MasterCook