A twist to the popular Patatas Bravas and aioli – Crispy Roasted Potatoes instead of Fried Potatoes
- 4 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1kg Potatoes – scrubbed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Pimentón (Sweet Paprika)
- 4 large ripe Tomatoes – skin removed, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ teaspoon Pimentón (Spanish Sweet Paprika)
- 1 Dried Bird’s Eye Chili or ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 4 cloves Roasted Garlic (or 2 clove Garlic)
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup (250ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Steam potatoes for about 15mins, until fork tender, don’t overcook it. If you don’t have a steamer, boil potatoes until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, pour olive oil onto a baking tray and place into the oven to pre-heat it to 250C (500F).
- To prepare tomato sauce, slit tomato skin like a cross and drop into a pot boiling water for 1 min. Peel off the skin, remove the seeds and blend them in a food processor.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a small pan over medium heat. Add the tomato, sugar, bay leaf, pimentón and cayenne. Cook until the mixture reduces by ¼ and becomes a deep red color, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the vinegar, season to taste with salt and set aside.
- To make the allioli, place garlic, egg yolk, salt and lemon juice in the container and blend with handheld blender. Drip olive oil in a very slow and steady stream, while keeping the blender running. It will turn into a thick paste initially, make sure the paste incorporate the olive oil as you go before adding more oil.
- Continue adding the oil slowly until you have the consistency of a very thick mayonnaise. If your allioli gets too thick, add a little water, about ½ teaspoon to thin it out. This takes about 5-10 minutes.
- After the potatoes are steamed, carefully removed the heated baking tray and transfer the potatoes onto the tray. You will hear a sizzling sounds when the potatoes touch the tray, be careful as the oil might splatter a little. Roast potatoes for 15mins, then remove to flip over the potatoes onto a different side and roast for another 10mins. This method will give you golden crispy and soft potatoes.
- To serve, sprinkle paprika over the potatoes, Serve half with warm tomato sauce garnished with parsley and the other half with dollops of allioli.
Tomato sauce and allioli can be kept in refrigerator, tightly covered, for two days.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Spanish