Made with apricots, orange zest, and dessert wine, these crunchy pastries are a sweet paleo delight.
How do you love these photos? Personally, these are some of my favorites… these little, crunchy pastries are just too cute!
Not only do they make for the perfect healthy gluten free recipe, they are also grain free and dairy free as well and therefore are the perfect paleo dessert!!
As you might have noticed if you follow my blog, I am a huge fan of cassava and tigernut flour. They are definitely the best grain free flours to bake with and they are a huge relief for those with grain allergies as they are perfect to replace traditional flour.
If you are not familiar with cassava, this is a product that comes from “yuca”, a tuber original from South America. After the starchy part is separated and used to produce “tapioca”, the cassava pulp is dried and then ground into a powder.
You can find different kinds of cassava flour on the market: the very fine one sold by “Otto’s“, which is perfect for cakes and baked goods that need to rise; or the more coarse type sold by “Yoki” which is great for hard cookies as it adds a very nice crunchy taste.
For this recipe, I used the latter, that made these pastries amazingly crispy.
If you prefer to make this recipe using more traditional gluten free flours, you can simply replace cassava with rice and tigernut with almond meal.
Let me know which version you chose and enjoy this awesome recipe!!
- 160 gr Cassava Flour (replaceable with rice flour)
- 40 gr Tigernut Flour (replaceable with almond meal)
- 45 gr Coconut Oil (melted)
- 40 gr Coconut Milk
- 40 gr Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 20 gr Sweet Dessert Wine (like Moscato)
- 3 Dried Apricots, chopped
- 15 gr Candied Orange Zest (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add in all wet ingredients and knead well with your hands.
- To create the dome shaped pastries, you can either use a small ladle or a circular tablespoon measurer.
- Fill the ladle or measurer with dough, press it down with your fingers and flip it outside down over a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let cool down in the oven after opening the oven door a bit.
- When the dome pastries are ready, melt the dark chocolate in a small pan and drizzle it over the pastries. Let it harden and you are ready to feast!!
P.S. For more awesome healthy dessert recipes, check out my EBook “Healthy Italian Dessert Made Simple“. I am sure you’ll love it!!