This delicious salad is the perfect example of letting natural flavours speak for themselves. With very few ingredients and only very simple cooking methods the bold flavours of roasted cauliflower, date and parsley marry to form the perfect mouthful every time.
By Pepper Passport
If you’re in Brisbane chances are you’re familiar with Botanica – the boutique salad bar with a cult following. Or, if you’re not, after reading this there’s a strong likelihood you’ll begin wishing your city had an eatery with Brett and Alison Hutley at the helm.
With well stamped passports and a wealth of experience having cooked privately for some of Australia’s biggest names (e.g the Packer’s and John Symonds – “At Aussie, we’ll save you!), the pair returned to their hometown, with the desire to establish something special that profiled and promoted their passion for the fresh, wholesome and convenient.
And special Botanica and its food is – giving light to the customers who loyally line up each day for their takeaway box of salads. And they’re ones that put any standard tomato, cucumber and lettuce combination to shame, for each type bursts with texture, taste and goodness.
So to spread that goodness and make it more accessible for us all, Alison and Brett have shared the recipe for one of their most popular dishes, and the combination of roasted cauliflower, date and parsley is as addictive as it is good.
This dish would be especially delicious paired with some other simply roasted vegetables or a perfectly roasted organic chicken.
- 1 HEAD CAULIFLOWER, WASHED AND CUT INTO THUMB SIZED FLORETS
- ½ CUP PITTED MEDJOOL DATES
- ½ CUP PARSLEY, WASHED AND ROUGHLY CHOPPED
- OLIVE OIL (THE BEST QUALITY YOU CAN BUY)
- SALT AND PEPPER
- Preheat oven to 200 C degrees.
- In a bowl mix the cauliflower florets with 1 tablespoon (or enough to lightly coat) of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cauliflower on a baking tray, spread to create one even layer, and bake for 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower becomes slightly tender and nicely golden.
- To serve as a warm side dish combine all ingredients immediately and serve or, to serve as a cold salad, chill cauliflower and then combine dates and parsley.