PARTNER POST: Dive into the 120 days of summer with Santa Rita wines that pair perfectly with the foods of the season, straight off the grill.
Grilled chicken only gets better when skewered with bacon, summer squashes and brushed with a tantalizing balsamic glaze.
Chicken and bacon skewers are sure to become your next grilling obsession! These easy skewers feature chicken with a maple balsamic glaze, zucchini, summer squash, and peppers woven together with bacon.
Food on a stick is just more fun, right? Especially when there’s bacon involved. These skewers will be the star of your next cookout. Maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and spices add flavor to the chicken, and the chicken and vegetables are super succulent because they’re nestled in between waves of bacon while they cook. The end result is a skewer with a perfect balance of sweet and salty, with plenty of protein and colorful pops of veggies.
Together with a glass of chilled white wine, these skewers just scream summer, and I recommend Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc. I absolutely love a good wine that doesn’t break the bank, and this one is perfect. All its citrusy notes make it super refreshing, the perfect counterpoint to a smoky skewer of grilled goodness. I also feel good about this wine because of Santa Rita’s commitment to sustainability–they’re working hard to measure and reduce their carbon footprint and implement technologies that reduce pollution and wasted water. Cheers to that!
For more grilling inspiration with Santa Rita, check out this grilled Chilean chicken and pebre sauce.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Badia Complete Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders or breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 red and/or orange bell peppers deseeded and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 zucchini chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 summer squash chopped into bite-size chunks
- 10 slices bacon
- If you plan to grill with wooden skewers, soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes before proceeding.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Badia Complete Seasoning, and sea salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes, until slightly thickened. Toss the chicken pieces with the balsamic glaze. IF you have time, marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
- Weave the bacon, chicken, and vegetables onto 12-inch skewers. You will likely need two pieces of bacon for each skewer. Start by piercing a piece of bacon near its end, and then add a piece of chicken. Weave the bacon around one side of the chicken and pierce the bacon with the skewer again. Next, repeat with a piece of zucchini or squash, then another piece of chicken, then a piece of pepper, and so on, adding a new piece of bacon whenever the old one runs out.
- Preheat your grill to medium high, or preheat the broiler.
- Grill the skewers for about five minutes per side or broil for about 8 minutes per side, until the bacon and chicken are cooked through. Let the skewers rest for five minutes and serve hot, preferably accompanied by a cold glass of white wine.
Becky Winkler is an enthusiastic eater who shares paleo and gluten-free recipes on her blog, A Calculated Whisk. She enjoys chopping chocolate, salting dessert, searing short ribs, and taking pictures. In her other life, she's a grad student in Boston.