PARTNER POST: May 26 is National Pinot Grigio Day. We’re celebrating with Cavit Wines by sharing refreshing spring and summer recipes that pair perfectly with Pinot Grigio.
A refreshing strawberry and avocado salad with candied pepitas is the perfect way to enjoy spring produce, alongside a glass of crisp Pinot Grigio.
Today is the very first National Pinot Grigio Day! With so much to celebrate, I decided a really fun salad was in order. This strawberry and avocado salad is loaded with sweet and salty candied pepitas, vibrant radishes, fresh romaine, and a cumin-lime dressing. I’ve been making various iterations of this salad for a few weeks now, and when I have them on hand I also like to add thinly sliced scallions and sugar snaps and a handful of fresh cilantro leaves.
This salad pairs incredibly well with Cavit’s pinot grigio, which is light and refreshing with a hint of fruity flavors and only a tad bit of sweetness. It’s cold-fermented in cutting edge thermo-conditioned tanks, which make it taste extra fresh and springy. I recommend enjoying a glass of well-chilled pinot grigio on your porch or in your backyard alongside a big plate of this salad.
This salad is the ideal way to celebrate spring and National Pinot Grigio Day. The candied pepitas are made quickly on the stovetop with honey, sea salt, and a sprinkling of smoked paprika, and are just as good for snacking on by the handful as they are in this salad. The dressing is a classic vinaigrette made with lime juice, plus a little earthiness and spice from the cumin and coriander. And, as the stars of the show, creamy avocado and juicy strawberries make an amazing pair, each bringing out the best of the other’s textures and flavors.
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ¾ cup pepitas
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch or two of sea salt, to taste
- ? teaspoon smoked paprika, or to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-size pieces
- ½ pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 small Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- Juice of half a lime
- Sea salt
- 2 radishes, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, thinly sliced on the diagonal (optional)
- 2 scallions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced on the diagonal (optional)
- ? cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- First, make the candied pepitas. Heat the avocado oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment. Add the pepitas, honey, salt, and smoked paprika to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until very little liquid is left in the skillet. Transfer the pepitas to the parchment and spread them out in a thin layer. Cool to room temperature before adding to the salad.
- Next, make the cumin-lime dressing. Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl or shake them in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk or shake again right before serving.
- To assemble the salad, toss the lettuce with dressing to taste and spread it out on a platter. Layer the strawberries, radishes, and any optional ingredients on top. Sprinkle lime juice and salt on top of the avocado slices and add them to the salad. Break the candied pepitas into small pieces and sprinkle those on top. Drizzle with additional dressing to taste and serve right away.