PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
Dig into this sweet and savory breakfast of flaky biscuits layered with blueberry preserves and served with a delicious sausage gravy.
Can’t decide what to have for breakfast? If you have a tough time deciding between sweet or savory for breakfast, here’s your solution! These homemade blueberry preserve biscuits topped with sausage gravy have just a hint of sweetness and make for the perfect combination breakfast for any occasion.
During our first few months of being married, my father in law made us the family recipe for sausage gravy. Before that I had never had that kind of biscuits and gravy, only the kind that resembles gravy that goes on mashed potatoes. So to say it was life changing may not be too much of an exaggeration.
To add a cherry on top of the equation, I learned shortly after that how therapeutic making homemade biscuits can be. So now, it may be a labor of love but biscuits and sausage gravy is a breakfast staple in our house.
When Bonne Maman partnered with me to share a savory Mother’s Day recipe using their blueberry preserves, I immediately thought to combine one of my favorite family recipes with blueberry preserves for a sweet and savory combination.
I’ll admit, I was a bit nervous that this combination would flop. I went back and forth on how to combine the ingredients in a way that didn’t just become a strange mush.
I decided to create kind of a biscuit sandwich, by putting a dollop of blueberry preserves in between two thin layers of biscuits. The result was easily 100x better than I imagined it would be. The perfect sweet and savory combination in every bite.
I just kept thinking “I’ll never eat regular biscuits and gravy again.” And I think it may be true. Sausage already has a hint of sweetness when paired with the right foods, so pairing it with Bonne Maman Blueberry Preserves made it that much more perfectly paired!
Make sure to check out Bonne Maman’s sweepstakes for a chance to win a 12-piece Le Creuset cookware set and more!
For another recipe idea, check out these strawberry muffins.
Click here for the written recipe.
Sweet and Savory Blueberry Preserve Biscuits with Sausage GravyMadison Wetherill
Blueberry Preserve Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup very cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Bonne Maman Blueberry Preserves
- 2 lbs ground sausage
- 41/2 c. milk
- 7 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Blueberry Preserve Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut butter into small cubes and place back in the fridge until ready to use. Butter has to be as cold as possible so this is a vital step!
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut butter into the flour mixture until small pea-sized butter pieces are incorporated into the dough.
- Add in milk, egg and lemon juice until just incorporated. The dough will be fairly sticky.
- On a well floured surface, knead dough 5-10 times. You may need to add extra flour to areas that are extra sticky.
- Separate the ball of dough in two.
- Roll or spread the dough to about 1/4" - 1/2" thickness.
- Use a biscuit cutter or drinking glass to cut out biscuits
- Place onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Use a spoon to put a dollop of blueberry preserves on each of the biscuits.
- Repeat steps to roll dough and cut biscuits and place second layer of biscuit on top of the blueberry preserves.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While biscuits are cooking, prepare the gravy.
- Brown sausage in large skillet. Remove sausage, crumble, and set aside.
- Drain grease, leaving only a small amount in skillet.
- In a small bowl mix together cups milk and flour until flour is completely dissolved.
- Pour crumbled sausage back into skillet. Slowly add milk/flour mixture to skillet, roughly 1/2 cup at a time. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir frequently and allow sausage mixture to thicken, adding more milk as mixture thickens. Continue until desired thickness is reached (about 25 minutes). Serve over hot blueberry preserve biscuits.
I love great food and have learned that cooking and hospitality can be stress free. I'm here to show you how!