This gluten free cake is loaded with a rich, oozing caramel sauce that emerges to mingle with the deep chocolate and pecans.
By Rita Anastasiou
This dessert is loaded with richness and decadence… The melted caramel sauce is hidden in the rich and moist chocolate cake,and as your spoon is sinking in the cake, you can’t take your eyes off of it as whiskey caramel sauce emerges, blending with the chocolate. The whiskey caramel sauce is simply exquisite with the pecans and the subtle alcohol flavor that work so great together!
Some top it with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, but I prefer to counterbalance the richness and sweetness with an easy orange-mint salad. The acidity of the orange and the freshness of the mint brightens the dessert.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup whiskey (I used Jack Daniels)
- 1 tsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup pecans,chopped
- 4 oz of semi- sweet baking chocolate squares (113 grams)
- 4 oz of butter (1 stick )
- ⅓ cup of sugar or icing sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup A P gluten free flour
- Some butter for greasing 4, 3 inch diameter, ramekins
- a little rock salt/sea salt
- 100% cocoa powder for dusting ramekins, optional
- Combine the sugar, water, whiskey, and orange juice in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook, gently swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and starts to turn color.
- Increase the heat to thigh and boil until the syrup turns a deep amber color, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Watch carefully, as it can burn quickly.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and pour in the cream and salt.
- Use a wooden spoon to carefully stir in the cream, as caramel has a tendency to hiss and splash as the cold cream hits it.
- Add the chopped pecans.
- Place the pan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the caramel thickens, 5 to 7 minutes.
- The mixture should be very thick. Let boiling sauce cool until it is just warm before serving.
- To store, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 425 deg (220 deg celsius)
- Butter the ramekins. Dust with cocoa powder(optional)
- Microwave the chocolate squares and butter for one minute in a large bowl. The chocolate will not have completely melted at this point. Whisk till the chocolate and butter combine.
- Add the sugar and mix it in.
- Whisk in the eggs and incorporate.
- Stir in the flour. Work the flour in gently to combine.
- Divide batter among the 4 ramekins.
- Gently push one heaping teaspoon of the cooled caramel sauce into the batter,sprinkle some salt and cover it with the rest chocolate cake batter.
- Place ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake between 10-13 minutes. The cake is ready when it has a domed appearance, the center is a little moist and the edges of the cake, dry and firm.
- Remove from the oven, insert a knife and go around the cake, invert onto serving plates, garnish with orange and mint salad or a scoop of vanilla ice scream and serve.