Straining the ricotta cheese is important with these simple puddings. Enjoy the creamy filling with a sweet and tart raspberry sauce on top.
By Trisha Jones
These ricotta puddings are so easy. It is really important that you drain the ricotta over night, even if it doesn’t look like it needs draining. Otherwise, you will get a less creamy, more soggy consistency.
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- 280g (10 ounces) ricotta, drained
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp raspberry jam
- Use clean muslin or thin linen cloth – coffee filters will do.
- Spoon the ricotta into the cloth and squeeze from the top.
- Squeeze until as much liquid has been removed as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (395F) and grease 4 small ramekins (or 2 large ones)
- Mix together the strained ricotta, egg, honey and lemon zest until thoroughly mixed
- Pour into the greased ramekins and smooth down with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until golden on top
- Heat at medium heat until the liquid starts to simmer and mix together thoroughly. Turn the heat off but leave in the pan to keep cooking in its own heat.
- Pour oven the Ricotta puddings.