This walnut banana cake made in one easy sheet will melt in your mouth with its buttery flavor.
Seriously, this is how this post went. One bite of Banana Nut Bar, write one sentence in the post. Another bite, another sentence. But, I should reward myself for all the work I put into a post, right?
This recipe is courtesy of my mom. Trust me when I say this, my mom can cook! And, thank goodness, she passed that gift onto me. Thanks mom!
I grew up eating these Banana Nut Bars, and even though it’s decades later, this recipe tastes as good as I remember it as a kid.
What’s so fantastic about them (other than the taste) is that they are simple to make, and in 35 minutes, you have the warm, nutty smell of freshly baked Banana Bread, which is then topped with a sweet frosting and chopped pecans.
Personally, I prefer to hand-break my pecans and not use a chopper, just because I like the big irregular shapes. IMO, it makes it even more appealing to the eye!
What you’ll love about this recipe is, the batter bakes up beautifully golden within 25 minutes, and the edges just barely lift away from the sides of the pan, making them easy to cut and remove!
Walnut Banana CakeKristi Kaiser
- 1 and ½ cups white all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup shortening
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add flour, sugar, soda and salt to a medium-size bowl and stir dry ingredients until mixed.
- Add eggs and banana to a separate bowl, and mash banana. Add milk and lemon juice and stir to combine. Add shortening to bowl, and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray, and pour ingredients into baking pan. Place in oven and bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown, and center is set.
- Remove from oven. Let cool. Once cool, frost and add chopped walnuts to the top.
Hi, I'm Kristi. The cook, author and photographer at Inspiration Kitchen. I am so passionate about food and I want to share that love! It is my goal to entertain.inspire.encourage home cooks everywhere that anyone can cook!