Whip up this nutrient-rich powerful salad bowl, also known as the green goddess bowl.
As a running-crazed, always hungry person who has been called a “garbage disposal” more than once (in an endearing way!), power bowls or salad bowls are my favorite thing to eat for lunch. Several cups of greens, whatever other veggies I can find and healthy fat and protein sources like eggs, avocados, tuna and sardines are some of my favorite things.
The struggle to not be hungry all the time is real – and it really helps to be eating nutrient-dense, high fiber and high protein meals. You can make a power salad out of just about anything in your fridge, but I wanted to share this recipe because I thought it was a particularly good one!
I love going to the grocery store and buying all the veggies I can get my hands on and figuring out what to do with them later, and last week at Fred Meyer I noticed that for the first time this year, asparagus was down to a decent price. It’s one of the first signs of spring… sort of, haha. And that’s where this entire bowl came from. If you start the week buying all of the ingredients on purpose, then you can make two of them and have dinner for two or two healthy lunches. Either way, you’ll be happy and full!
- 3 cups shredded kale
- ½ lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ avocado
- 2 Tbsp. chopped herbs (cilantro, parsley, chives or basil or a mix of all of them!)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. best quality olive oil
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle sliced radishes with salt and gently toss. Set aside.
- Add asparagus to a small saucepan with ½ cup water. Bring the water to a simmer and put the lid on the pan, simmering for about five minutes. Remove from the heat when asparagus is fork-tender and drain the water.
- Layer kale, asparagus, avocado, radishes, green onion and herbs in a bowl, and dress with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Fry the egg however you like it best and add it on top.