This noodle bowl is the perfect dish to have on hand for a quick lunch with crunchy green beans, fresh cucumber and hearty mushrooms. The dressing is simple: sweet, sour, salty and savory.
By Sami Berger
I have had the idea of making cold soba noodle salad for a while now but haven’t gotten around to it. It was exactly what I imagined it would be and is pretty much the perfect lunch to have hanging out in the fridge for a few days for a healthy, filling, but still light meal ready at your fingertips. Obviously you can substitute the vegetables for anything you want but I love the crunchy green beans, the fresh cucumber and the hearty mushrooms. The sesame seeds give the bowl a subtle crunch and are also beautiful to look at. The dressing is simple: sweet, sour, salty and savoury. We pretty much devoured everything we made before we moved on to making the rest of the recipes. It’s that good.
- 250g (8.8 ounces) soba noodles
- 150g (5.3 ounces) enoki mushrooms, trimmed and separated
- 150g (5.3 ounces) green beans, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
- 5 green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 mini cucumber, julienned
- a couple tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- juice of half a lime
- ½ small green chilli, finely minced
- Heat up a pan over medium heat with a splash of neutral oil.
- Put mushrooms and green beans into the pan, season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté mushrooms and green beans, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to brown. Green beans will still be crunchy.
- In the meantime, bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Cook soba noodles until cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Strain noodles and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- In a large bowl toss noodles with sautéed mushrooms and green beans, green onion, cucumber, dressing, and garnish with sesame seeds.
- This dish is good at either room temperature or cold.
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce (rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey, soya, sauce, lime, green chili).