Rice milk and white chocolate replace eggs in a traditional custard and provide a delightful flavor. Serve cold or as a cake filling or between layers of crisp pastry.
By Veronica Lavenia
Compared to the traditional custard, this egg and dairy free version, is lighter but retains a delightful taste.
For a dessert with a unique flavor, vanilla and white chocolate must be of excellent quality. Perfect served cold in a glass, it is also ideal for filling cakes and Millefeuille.
- 100 g (3½ oz-½ cup) light brown sugar
- 50 g (1¾ oz) rice flour
- 40 g (¼ cup) cornmeal (cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla powder “Bourbon”
- 200 g (7 oz) rice milk
- a bar of white chocolate
- Mix sugar, rice flour, cornmeal and vanilla powder with 50 ml of rice milk.
- Add the mixture to the rest of the milk (you already have warmed) and stir over the fire until the cream is thick.
- Turn off the heat and melt the bar of white chocolate.
- Let cool the cream to room temperature and then fill six dessert cups.
- Keeps the cups in the refrigerator until ready to serve.