A mixture of cuisines, baked aubergine with italian style tomato sauce layered with arabic spices, to be enjoyed with a bowl of Jasmine rice.
By Jehanne Ali
Irrespective of whether it’s called brinjal, aubergine or eggplant, it will still be delicious. I took to chopping the aubergine into neat little circles, and since I always have stocks of homemade tomato ragu in the fridge, this dish took minimal time to prepare.
- 2 medium sized aubergine
- 1 cup Tomato Ragu
- 1 cup grated mozarella
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp italian seasoning or oregano
- Slice the aubergine into thin circles.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. (375F)
- Layer the aubergine circles ( as 1 layer ) on the bottom of big casserole.
- Divide the tomato ragu into 3 portion, and spread ⅓ cup on top of aubergine.
- Mix all the spices ( sumac, black pepper, salt and oregano) and sprinkle on top of tomato sauce.
- If the tomato sauce is already salted, omit the salt.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese and repeat layer with aubergine, then tomato sauce, spices and cheese again.
- Ensure the top is top layer ends with cheese.
- Sprinkle the spices and bake for 30-45 mins until golden.
- Serve warm with bread, rice, potatoes or as main course.