These mini trifles are soft & boozy bundles of sponge cake slathered with layers of custard, cream and sweet rum caramelized peaches.
By Shuchi Mittal
The mini trifles are soft & boozy bundles of sponge cake slathered with layers of custard, cream & sweet rum caramelized peaches.
Oh and don’t throw away the remaining corners & crumbles from the cake! Make extra portions with those. Just use broken up cake instead of rounds and do the same exact thing.
This dessert tastes great after 24 hours, and even better after 48! Trust me, it’s worth the patience.
The bites makes you happy, and the rum makes the happiness linger. Magic or love? You decide.
- 1 medium round sponge cake
- 12 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon dark rum
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6-8 fresh ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup warm milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 green cardamoms, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- Mix the milk, cream & crushed cardamoms, and bring to a simmer. Make a paste with a teaspoon of the warm milk mixture, corn starch & salt.
- Slowly add the corn starch paste to the simmering milk, stirring continuously, till the milk begins to thicken. Let it bubble for few seconds and then remove from heat. Discard the cardamom skin, and stir in sugar and vanilla essence.
- Keep aside to cool.
- Beat the cream with maple syrup till soft peaks form. Refrigerate.
- Put the peach slices, along with a teaspoon of brown sugar, in a non stick pan on high heat. As the sugar begins to caramelize, add 1 tablespoon of rum and give it a quick toss. Remove from heat and cool.
- Cut out 2 inch rounds from the sponge cake and slice each round in half. Layer one half at the bottom of your serving dish. Soak it in some warm milk & a teaspoon of rum, and press it down slightly.
- Put a dollop of custard, followed by a dollop of whipped cream, and then a slice of the caramelized peach.
- Top with the other half of the cake and repeat the layers. Do this with all the rounds from the cake.