Whether you’re hosting a 4th of July get-together and serving up burgers and hotdogs or a playful patriotic clambake party, these spectacular treats are guaranteed to make it a sweet celebration.
By Pam Kanavos
Looking for some Patriotic inspiration? Bored and in need of a spectacular yet easy dessert that will keep the crowd coming back for more? Whether you’re hosting a 4th of July get-together and serving up burgers and hotdogs or hosting a playful patriotic clambake party, these spectacular red, white and blue treats are guaranteed to make your party a sweet as well as a spectacular celebration.
- 1 box of your favorite cake mix (plus all ingredients needed, as listed on box), or your favorite from scratch cake recipe
- ¾ can prepared cream cheese frosting
- White or blue chocolate melts (I prefer to use the Wilton brand)
- Red chocolate melts (I prefer to use the Wilton brand)
- White sprinkles (the ones that look like little balls)
- 1 Waxed paper
- 50 lollipop sticks
- Bake cake as directed on package or in recipe.
- When completely cool, break the cake into crumbs by hand in a large bowl. Mix in full can of frosting until well blended.
- Roll the cake mixture into 1-inch balls and place on waxed paper.
- Melt the candy melts as directed or in a melting pot.
- Dip a lollipop stick about ½ inch into the melted chocolate and insert the stick into the rounded part of a cake ball. Repeat for remaining cake balls.
- Place the cake pops in the freezer for about 10 minutes, or in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, to firm.
- Once the pops are firm, remove from the fridge/freezer and dip each into the melted chocolate, tapping excess chocolate off.
- For the “stars” of your flag, blue candy-making melting chocolate. For the “stripes” pops, use the red candy melts.
- Prop up pops, cake end down, on waxed paper while the chocolate is still slightly warm, so the candy hardens into a flat surface at the top (this will help your pops stand up when serving).
- Finish the blue pops with white sprinkles before chocolate coating hardens.
- Drizzle white chocolate over the red pops after chocolate coating hardens.
- Line up your pops to create the Stars & Stripes on a tray.