A spicy bowl of chipotle lime shrimp, served over rice, beans, and fresh tomatoes is best served with a side of refreshing tequila.
If I’m indulging in a night of tequila drinks, I love nothing more than to order up a spicy dish to go along side – enter this chipotle lime shrimp skillet.
Let’s talk about this skillet – one it’s huge! You can serve a family or a handful of boozed up friends. It’s piled high with rice and beans, grilled corn cut from the cob, juicy ripe tomatoes, fragrant cilantro (lots of cilantro), warm tortillas, wedges of lime, and whatever else you desire.
Two – this skillet has shrimp! Garlic-y, spicy chipotle lime shrimp all topped with a sprinkle of cilantro. This shrimp is sizzled in a skillet with fresh squeeze lime juice, diced garlic and chipotle peppers in adobo. Cooked to perfection and then gently placed on top of your huge skillet of toppings.
Grab those warm tortillas, stuff them full of all this deliciousness, and eat! Drink margaritas, stuff lime wedges in beers, laugh with your friends, and eat until your bursting at the seams.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons garlic
- 4 individual chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced, plus 1 tablespoon of sauced reserved
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1-1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 -15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears of corn, grilled and cut off the cobb
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add oil, garlic, chipotle peppers, and reserved sauce.
- Cook just until fragrant and garlic begins to soften, about 3-5 minutes,
- Add lime juice and cook down for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp, flipping once, and cooking just until pink. Sauce should start to thicken as shrimp cook.
- To serve, in a large skillet, layer rice, beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, lime wedges and tortillas.
- Serve with any additional toppings you desire (salsa, guacamole, sour cream, etc..)