Also known as Vangi Bhaat in India, this eggplant fried rice is an easy and flavorful dish made with masala spices.
Personally, I don’t like eggplant, however Vangi Bhaat is an exception. This is the only eggplant recipe that I love.
The ?first time I had this was at my neighbor’s house. We were invited for a Sunday meal and it was an authentic Maharashtrian spread which I absolutely love. Of the many delicacies that we had that day, this one stood apart. I must add here that, my neighbor is an excellent chef and I have been inspired by her on many occasions. Some of the recipes that I have learnt from her are Sabudana/Sago/Tapioca Pearls Khichdi, Dill ke Pakode/Dill Croquettes, Poha and Veg Kolhapuri Gravy.
This is my quick fixx lunch. I had made Baingan Bharta and I had intentionally set aside some chopped brinjals to make this Fried Rice. This is one of the few vegetables which has many names. It’s called Vangi, Aubergine, Baingan, Eggplant, Garden Egg and Brinjal or at least these are the names I know of. According to google, many studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like the eggplant decreases the risk of obesity, overall mortality, diabetes, and heart disease, and promotes a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy, and lower weight.
Vangi Bhaat is a one pot vegetarian meal that is very simple to prepare.
For more inspiring vegetarian recipes, click here.
For the dry masala
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal
- 2 tbsp urad dal
- 2 methi seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 3 cardamon pods
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 small onions sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt as required
- Fresh grated coconut cilantro for garnish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, cloves, cinnamon, roasted chana dal, urad dal and methi seeds/fenugreek seeds. Blitz to a powder once it cools down. Heat oil in a pan, temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Then add the curry leaves, cardamon, bay leaf and fry for a minute. Then add sliced onions. Saute till they turn translucent.
- Now add peas and saute for 2 mins till they are cooked. Next add the chopped eggplants, salt
- and turmeric powder. Cover the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. The eggplants need to be soft and cooked. Then add the ground masala powder and fry this masala till you start getting an aroma of the fried masala. Sprinkle few drops of water to make it moist. Then add the cooked rice.
- Give it a good mix so that all the masala coats well with the rice. Garnish with lemon juice, fresh grated coconut and cilantro. Serve it warm. Eggplant Fried Rice/Vangi Bhaat/Brinjal Rice is one aromatic rice preparation blended with unique spices giving it a new and refreshing flavor. You can serve this as is or with yogurt or raita and roasted papad. Deadly combo it is!
An Indian vegetarian/vegan food blogger from Florida who loves to cook, host, develop new recipes, style food and photograph it too. When not cooking/blogging, loves to travel and do DIY crafts.