This rich rice pudding, traditional to South India, can be served warm or chilled.
By Prathima Rao
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 800 ml milk (4 cups)
- 6 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp saffron dissolved in 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp cashew, fried in little ghee till golden
- Wash rice, drain. Cook rice in water till 90% cooked. Drain excess water.
- Add cooked rice to milk. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for sometime till thickens and rice is softer and cooked thoroughly. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Add sugar, raisins. Stir and let sugar dissolve.
- Remove from heat. Add optional ingredients if adding.
- Serve hot or cold.