Bill and I went to a vegan diner in Philly a few months ago and dubbed their tofu scramble the best we’ve ever eaten… ever! The Tasty remains one of our favorites to hit up when we have a day off. Inspired by their tofu scramble, each Sunday, post workout, we would work on perfecting our tofu scramble and this recipe is IT!
I’m so excited to share this very cheesy and delectable scramble with you all. Warm, satisfying and oh so decadent. Cannot wait to hear your reviews!
- One container of sprouted tofu
- Drizzle of olive oil for your pan
- ½ of a medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- Chopped tomato (I used 8 cherry tomatoes halved)
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup of Nutritional Yeast
- ½ cup of freshly grated Daiya cheddar
- ½ tsp of Celtic or Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp of each: garlic powder, cumin, turmeric and smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp of chili powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 tbl of water to make the sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- Add a few drizzles of olive oil to your cast iron pan over medium heat. Promptly add your onion, jalapeño & bell pepper. Sauté until softened (about 4 minutes). Prepare your spices in a bowl and set aside.
- To add your tofu, remove from package and drain. No need to press it. Then start to crumble the tofu (see pics below) into the pan. Cook for about 6 or 7 minutes until the water from the tofu evaporates.
- Take your spice mixture and add water. Whisk until it a sauce-like consistency (thicker) and pour over the tofu. Stir to combine and allow to cook for another few minutes. In the meantime, grate your cheese. Then add that and the nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir thoroughly. Add your spinach & tomatoes cook until wilted. Top with fresh cilantro and promptly devour. Enjoy!