This sandwich is so substantial it could easily be a lunch. You are definitely gonna need a fork to finish it.
By Jerri Green
We eat real breakfast in my house. My kids are not satisfied with a fruit bar or a bowl of instant oatmeal. No, we have to have a substantial meal. Whether it is a croissant smeared with homemade apple butter or a piece of rye bread topped with strawberry honey jam from the berries we pick ourselves, I had better be prepared to also whip up some scrambled eggs or bacon too. And do forget some fresh fruit on the side. No wonder I stay so exhausted. The good news is once they have settled into their grub I am free to make my own fancy grown up breakfast. And you know what, I want something substantial too. Like this egg sammie which incorporated many treasures from my latest CSA.
- 1 English muffin, toasted
- 1 organic egg, fried
- micro greens, like mesclun
- a thick slice of fresh tomato
- ½ red spring onion, sliced thinly
- smoked gruyere cheese, shredded
- Toast your English muffin. Fry your egg. I like mine over easy, but you can change that as you like. Layer de-stemmed micro greens on half of bottom of muffin. Top with ripe tomato and slivers of onion. Add egg, then smother with finely shredded smokey cheese.