Faith Gorsky shares her baked eggrolls with homemade teriyaki sauce recipe with us.
By Faith Gorsky
Baked Eggrolls with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
A wonderful and healthy version of the classic eggroll. Here with teriyaki sauce.
Author: Faith Gorsky
Recipe Type: Side
Serves: 8 rolls
- 7 oz firm tofu
- 2 c shredded Savoy cabbage
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced
- ~1/3 of a medium-sized red pepper, thinly sliced
- ~2 TB minced fresh chives
- Teriyaki sauce
- 8 eggroll skins (I like Melissa’s brand)
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 TB water (for egg wash)
- Cooking spray
- 3 TB low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 TB rice vinegar
- 2 TB water
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 TB honey
- ~½ TB minced garlic (depending on your taste)
- ~½ TB minced ginger (depending on your taste)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 TB cold water
- Preheat the oven to 425F. For the teriyaki sauce, heat a small pan on low and add the olive oil, garlic, and ginger; sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, water, honey, and pepper, and then turn the heat up to medium-high; bring this to a boil and then add the dissolved cornstarch. Once the cornstarch slurry is added, boil for ~1 minute (the mixture will be thickened) and shut off heat.
- Slice the tofu, layer it between paper towels, and gently press down to extract the moisture. Crumble the tofu into a medium-sized pan, add 2 TB of teriyaki sauce, and sauté on medium heat for ~5 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrots, red pepper, and chives along with 1 more tablespoon of teriyaki sauce and sauté for ~2 more minutes (or until the veggies are slightly wilted). Allow the tofu/veggie mixture to cool slightly.
- To make the eggroll, place 1 eggroll skin in front of you with one corner pointing down (in a diamond shape). Slightly toward the lower half of the eggroll skin, place ~3 TB of the tofu/veggie filling. Wrap the bottom point up over the filling, then wrap the sides in. Securely (but gently) roll the eggroll up; just before you finish rolling, lightly brush the top point of the eggroll skin with the egg wash.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, line the eggrolls ~1” apart on the baking sheet, and lightly spray each eggroll with cooking spray. Bake for 8-10 minutes (or until golden on the bottom), then flip and bake 6-9 minutes (or until golden on the second side).
- Serve with the remaining teriyaki sauce for dipping.