PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long.
This Monte Cristo sandwich takes things to a whole new level with cinnamon raisin bread, muenster cheese and apricot preserves.
You know what’s super delicious? Sandwiches, especially the toasted or grilled kind. Melty, ooey-gooey cheese of any variety. Sweet and salty food mash-ups. French toast. Brunch, in general.
I could go on and on naming delicious things, but the one’s I’ve mentioned so far have something very important in common….. Monte Cristo sandwiches! If you haven’t had a Monte Cristo, it’s traditionally made with white bread, Gruyere, ham and Dijon mustard, cooked French toast-style and served with a side of preserves and powdered sugar.
It’s sweet and salty HEAVEN, you guys.
This recipe is just a bit different in that it’s made with whole grain cinnamon raisin bread, slices of muenster and fruit preserves stuffed inside the sandwich AND used for dipping. It’s a Monte Cristo, Julie style. These sandwiches are definitely something you can serve on Mother’s Day, because we all know moms love brunch, cheese, sweet and salty mash-ups, French toast and sandwiches.
If that’s not true, I don’t know if I can be friends with your mom.
Just kidding, but did I mention that the entire sandwich is dipped in a clove and nutmeg-infused batter and cooked French toast-style? And topped with powdered sugar and dipped in fruit preserves? Did you hear that? I really hope you’re as excited about this as I am.
Also, these aren’t just any fruit preserves. They’re Bonne Maman preserves, which 1) come in a super cute jar and 2) are made with simple and wholesome ingredients and you know that’s my jam. No pun intended.
Enter to WIN in this Bonne Maman giveaway ever! Click the image below.
For more recipe ideas, check out these fun toasts.
- 8 slices whole grain raisin bread
- 16 slices black forest ham
- 4 slices muenster cheese
- ¼ cup Bonne Maman apricot preserves + more for serving
- ½ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch coarse salt
- 3-4 Tbsp. salted butter
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Layer 4 slices of bread with honey ham, muenster and apricot preserves. Place remaining bread slices on top.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, nutmeg, cloves and salt until combined.
- Heat one tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet to medium heat. Dip one assembled sandwich in milk/egg mixture, then place in the hot skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until bread is golden brown and cheese is completely melted. Repeat this process with remaining butter and sandwiches.
- Slice each sandwich into 4 squares and serve with extra apricot preserves and powdered sugar (optional).