PARTNER POST — TrySwedish Thursdays is a culinary collaboration between TrySwedish, West Sweden, Gothenburg and Sweden’s most famous and loved cheese Västerbottensost®. Discover the edible delights of the land.
Bring a delicious bite of Sweden to your summer’s grill with venison burgers complete with juniper berries and cheesy Västerbottensost buns.
The unique cheese, Västerbottensost, has a powerful taste that harmonizes perfectly with game meats. This summer, head outside to create a gourmet burger on the grill. Serve with aioli, home-made chips, top with a slice of Västerbottensost and your own favorite trimmings. Want to learn more about the history of this awesome, accidental cheese discovery? Read on here, for our take on its mysterious past.
- 700 g (1.5 pounds) venison (or minced beef)
- 50 g (1.7ounces) fried bacon
- 2 tsp roasted and crushed juniper berries
- A pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
- A little rock salt
- Cheese, Västerbottensost
- 200 ml (6.75 fluid ounces) milk
- 100 ml (3.4 fluid ounces) water
- 25 g (0.88 ounces) yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 900 ml (30 ounces) wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) grated Västerbottensost
- Finely chop the bacon and mix with the venison, roasted and crushed juniper berries and pepper.
- Divide the meat into six equal pieces and shape into regular burgers. Brush the burgers with oil and season with rock salt.
- Barbecue on a high heat, turning the burgers when they have dark griddle marks.
- Finally, add a slice of Västerbottensost and let it melt with the heat of the burger.
- Heat the milk and water to 37 °C and pour into a dough mixer. Crumble in the yeast and add salt, sugar and oil. Mix in the flour until the dough is smooth.
- Then add the egg and grate in the cheese. Work the dough in the dough mixer for about 10 minutes at the lowest speed.
- Tip the dough out of the bowl onto a clean board and knead it with 1–2 tbsp wheat flour to stop it sticking to the board.
- Divide the dough into 10–12 equal pieces and knead into round buns. Spread them on a greased baking tray 4 cm apart and leave to rise under a tea towel for 30–45 minutes.
- Bake at 220 °C (428F) in a fan oven for 10–15 minutes.
Lindsey Olsson Shamshoian
A.V. OLSSON TRADING CO., INC.
VICE PRESIDENT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
T: +1 203-969-2090 | M: +1 203-253-3738