This recipe for Sweet and Spicy Baked Sriracha Buffalo Chicken Wings is stunningly crispy and flavorful without being fried.
You truly can have a crispy batch of chicken wings that are oven-baked and not fried.
I’ve seen several tricks, but my personal favorite hacks are:
1. Thoroughly dry every single chicken wing. Singular, because you literally take paper towels to each piece of chicken and remove as much moisture as you possibly can. This works nearly just as well as the chilling/air drying method and is just way faster.
2. I use a combination of baking powder and corn starch in the dry rub. We add those two ingredients to just the right mixture of simple spices. Then we let them do The Twist with the chicken before baking.
These simple techniques create a flavorful and crispy batch of oven-baked chicken wings. They’re so good at this point, we could just devour all the crispy wings now and call it done.
But let’s say you wanted continue on with the awesome sauce…
Of course, the good stuff is in the sauce. Everyone knows the sauce is what makes buffalo wings so finger-licking great. We’ve done buffalo wings using all kinds of sauce variations, including classic Frank’s Red Hot.
While all variations are yummy in their own right, our all time favorite is Sriracha hot chili sauce. It’s made with sun-ripened chilies, ground into a paste with garlic. We use up bottles of Sriracha like wild. Case in point: These BBQ Sriracha Ribs are spectacular and this Honey Lime Shrimp with Sriracha boasts stunning flavors.
For our Honey Sriracha Buffalo Chicken Wings sauce, the team players include pure honey, butter, soy sauce, and Sriracha. The sauce is so awesome, you’ll be rightfully temped to use it on everything from here on forth.
- 3 lbs chicken wings, split, no tips
- 1 TB garlic powder
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher/coarse salt
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1 TB corn starch
- 5 TB butter
- ½ cup pure honey
- ¼ cup Sriracha (use less if you want it mild)
- 1 TB light soy sauce
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Optional: freshly chopped parsley or chives or garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F, with rack on upper middle position. Line a large baking sheet with foil and generously grease the foil. Very thoroughly chicken wings with paper towels; take the time to dry each piece well, so that all excess moisture is removed.
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine garlic powder, pepper, salt, baking powder, and corn starch. Mix well. Add chicken wings, gently shaking to coat thoroughly.
- Place wings in single layer on foil lined baking sheet. Bake 45-50 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- While chicken is baking, make the sauce. In a small pot, melt butter. Add rest of sauce ingredients, constantly stirring, until mixture starts to bubble. Immediately remove from heat and set aside.
- Transfer baked wings to a large serving platter.
- When ready to serve, pour as much sauce as desired over wings, tossing to coat well. If desired, save some sauce for serving alongside of wings. Serve immediately while chicken is crisp.