An easy vegan appetizer that goes great with just about any dipping sauce. Spice it up with a variety of vegetables and chilies.
By Siri Pulipaka
Learn how to make an easy vegan appetizer recipe that is sure to please your friends and family. ‘Hara Bhara’ literally translates to ‘All things Green’. Though traditionally it is spinach that is used for this recipe, feel free to replace with any firm greens on hand. Taste will slightly vary and I recommend blanching them lightly before using in the patty mixture.
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 cup potato (boiled and mashed)
- ½ cup grated carrot
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp besan (or chickpea flour)
- 1 cup grated paneer (omit to make vegan or use a vegan cheese)
- ¼ cup finely chopped green beans
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Oil (about 4 to 5 tbsp) - for shallow frying
- In a large bowl, mix together spinach, potato, carrot, green chilli, green beans and paneer. Then add chickpea flour and season with salt, pepper powder turmeric & cumin powder.
- Mix everything together and take a small portion to shape in round patty. Repeat the same with the entire mixture.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and gently drop each patty. On low heat, cook each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with ketchup or any chutney.