Crispy chicken skin, spicy harissa, lemon, leeks, fennel and some humble and comforting potatoes. That’s all it takes to make an easy, weeknight meal that will satisfy.
I love it when a recipe that has been on the “must make” list turns out so well. I saw the recipe for this Crispy Harissa and Lemon Chicken with Potatoes on Bon Appetit a while ago and it immediately joined the list of dishes I needed to try.
I got round to making it after buying some Tunisian harissa paste at Giovanni’s and it turned out to be such a tasty dish that it was good enough to share.
The flavour combination is right up my alley. Crispy chicken skin (what’s more do you need?), spicy harissa, lemon, leeks, fennel and some humble and comforting potatoes. This dish is an easy breezy midweek meal or a casual dinner party feast with not much trouble at all.
Make sure you use a large enough roasting pan so that the chicken and potatoes are not too crowded in the pan. To make sure the potatoes are cooked properly, use baby potatoes that have been quartered. You can also parboil them if you have the time and then just halve them before placing in the pan. And if you like a bit more spice, double the harissa paste.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Crispy Harissa and Lemon Chicken with Potatoes. If you’ve made the recipe share it with me by tagging @heinstirred on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #heinstirred.
- 4 skin-on chicken thighs
- 400g baby potatoes, quartered
- Sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp Baleia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium leeks, rinsed, halved lengthwise, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 15ml hot harissa paste
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cut into wedges and some fronds reserved for serving
- 30ml lemon juice
- Peheat oven to 220 degrees C
- Season chicken with salt and place, skin side down, in a large pan
- Drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil and arrange around chicken
- Heat the pan over a medium heat and cook, without moving chicken but turning potatoes occasionally, until chicken skin is browned and crisp, for 15 minutes
- Transfer chicken skin side up and potatoes to a plate, leaving as much fat in the pan as possible
- Add the leeks and cook for a few minutes
- Reduce the heat a bit add the harissa and garlic and cook for another few minutes
- Add the fennel and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to make sure the fennel is covered with the sauce
- Place the potatoes in a roasting tray and spoon the harissa and fennel mix over it
- Place the chicken skin side up amongst the potatoes and fennel and roast for 15 - 20 minutes until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through and juices run clear when pierced
- Transfer to a serving platter and top with a few fennel fronds