PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
A classic rueben with wild garlic Havarti has peppery greens added to the mix and sweet butternut squash for a great combination of flavors.
By Carlene Thomas
It is the perfect time of year to have a Reuben done up fancy and with more greens. I mean, let’s be real here: March is also national nutrition month, so I would be remiss if I didn’t make some attempt to add in some veggies to this recipe.
The best way to make a reuben is by picking a cheese with big impact. When I realized Castello had a havarti cheese with a wild garlic flavor, the wheels started turning. Ya’ll. This cheese can MELT. Plus, you could totally pull off this recipe with a few of their other Castello Havarti cheeses in dill, caraway (OMG PERFECT), jalapeño and herbs and spices blend.
By balancing a sweet butternut squash with salty corned beef and bitter, peppery arugula, everything comes together so nicely to make a party on a plate.
- 2 slices rye bread
- ¼ pound corned beef
- 2 ounces Castello Havarti, Wild Garlic cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ cup, cubed roasted butternut squash
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ apple, (crisp variety like Fuji), sliced into matchsticks
- 1 pickle spear, minced
- ¼ cup greek yogurt, 0%
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 T ketchup
- a dash Worcestershire sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- To make a reuben, heat up a cast iron skillet and add the pat of butter to melt. Lay two pieces of bread flat. Place cheese on the first layer, touching the bread and then build with corned beef. Top with other slice of bread and place on the heated skillet to toast and allow cheese to melt. Flip over to toast the other side. Cut into cubes.
- To make the dressing, mix everything together in a small dish.
- To make salad add salad ingredients, top with croutons and drizzle dressing over the top.
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.