Baked oatmeal is one guaranteed way to get your day off on the right foot. Healthy, fiber-packed and a wonderfully delicious. Even the sleepiest in the house will rise up when they smell this baking.
By Robin Runner
Yesterday I purchased the most beautiful peaches and cherries. I knew these would be perfect in a batch of my healthy baked oatmeal. It was the perfect breakfast to have post run today. It will also be a fantastic way to send my girls off to a hard swim practice this morning. Fiber-packed and so incredibly tasty. This will surely get everyone out of bed and running for breakfast in the morning.
- 2½ cups of rolled oats
- ¼ cup of oat bran
- ¼ wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups of milk (almond or regular)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup of oil
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1½ cup of pitted cherries
- 1½ cup of peaches, pitted and chopped
- Lemon juice
- Honey and nuts for topping.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non stick flour spray and set aside.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice on the chopped peaches to keep them from turning.
- In a large mixing bowl add the oats, brans, flax seed meal, powder and cinnamon. In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, blend milk, egg, applesauce, oil and sugar. Blend well. Add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and blend well. Blend the fruit by hand and then pour into your casserole dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set up and golden brown on the top.
- Serve hot and top with milk, honey, nuts etc. Enjoy!