Beef Stir Fry Recipe
A delicious beef stir fry, perfect for a quick dinner.
By Christina Soong-Kroeger
Delicious Beef Stir Fry
Author: Christina Soong-Kroeger
Recipe Type: Main
- 350 grams scotch fillet steak
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (substitute with red wine or sherry)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1?2 teaspoon sugar
- 1?4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil, plus another 1?2 tablespoon
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 150 grams sugar snap peas or 1 bunch broccolini or asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into small pieces 1?2 red capsicum
- 1?2 yellow capsicum
- A few fresh basil leaves
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Trim steak of fat and then cut into small slices, against the grain.
- Place steak into a small bowl and then mix in Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover with clingwrap and then leave in the fridge for at least one hour to marinate.
- Heat up a wok or large, non-stick fry pan until it begins to smoke.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then throw onions into pan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring continuously, for one minute and then add garlic.
- Continue cooking and stirring for another 30 seconds and then add meat.
- Turn strove up to high and sear meat on all sides.
- Once meat is brown, but still pink, turn off stovetop and remove meat to a plate and set aside.
- Turn stovetop back on to medium-high and add extra 1?2 tablespoon of olive oil to wok.
- Add sugar snap peas, broccolini or asparagus and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add two to three tablespoons of water as necessary to avoid burning.
- If the vegetables stems are thick you can put a lid on the wok for a couple of minutes and turn the heat down to low to ensure that they are cook through.
- Add capsicum and then add reserved beef and basil leaves.
- Stir for a further minute or two and then turn out onto a serving plate.
- Serve with plain steamed rice and eat immediately.
Originally Published: December 20, 2012