A hearty grain and bean salad, dressed with a creamy blend of heart healthy avocados, serrano chili’s, and fresh lime juice.
By Pooja Mottl
Healthy, minimally processed ingredients from Mother Nature don’t get better than this. Here is a winning recipe for a hearty grain and bean salad, dressed with a creamy blend of heart healthy avocados, Serrano chili’s, and fresh lime juice.
- 1 cup quinoa - rinsed, drained, and dry toasted
- ½ teaspoon organic expeller pressed canola oil
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1¾ cup filtered water
- 1 cup organic pinto beans - rinsed several times, drained, and patted dry with paper towel
- ¾ cup red bell pepper - deseeded, membrane removed, cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 ripe organic avocados
- 5 teaspoons lime juice
- ⅜ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ inch piece Serrano chili - deseeded, very finely minced
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar
- Place quinoa in a heavy sauce pot, add oil, spices, and salt, and stir to combine over low heat. Add water, bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Fluff with a ford, transfer quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Add pinto beans and bell peppers and gently stir to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mash avocados, adding lime juice simultaneously. Then add remaining ingredients and mash well to combine.
- Transfer avocado dressing to quinoa mixing bowl and using a wooden spoon, gently stir to fully incorporate.
- Plate and serve!