With tomato season in full swing, Reena Pastakia shares a simple recipe that will help you use up any excess. They are great with sandwiches, salads, barbecues, picnics or just as a cheeky nibble as you walk by the fridge.
By Reena Pastakia
Summer Appetizer: Chili Roasted Tomatoes
A perfect summer appetizer to use up excess tomatoes.
Author: Reena Pastakia
- 450 grams tomatoes
- olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 3 bay leaves (fresh or dry)
- fresh or dried thyme
- balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 165 degrees centigrade.
- Wash the tomatoes and then cut each in half through the poles not along the equator.
- Use an oven proof dish that will hold the tomatoes snuggly (you can always use a few more or less as required).
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to the bottom of the dish.
- Place the tomatoes on the dish with the cut side up.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with more olive oil.
- Now sprinkle the tomatoes with salt, black pepper and chilli flakes.
- Tuck the bay leaves amongst the tomatoes
- If you are using fresh thyme, lay a few sprigs across the top of the tomatoes. If using dried thyme, sprinkle a teaspoon or two over the tomatoes.
- Now drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Place in the oven until slightly charred – in the region of 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use a fork to gently squash the tomatoes and release the juices.
- Leave to cool before serving.