Brighten a winter meal with this stunning spinach and radish salad topped with barley and feta and tossed in a lemon dressing.
By Vicky Cassidy
This is one of those salads that counts as an entree. With a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest it is bright and citrusy, just what a winter meal needs. And in addition to being healthy, filling, and restorative, it really is a beauty to look at too.
- 1 cup barley, dry
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice from 1 small lemon
- zest from ½ small lemon
- 2 large handfuls spinach leaves
- 1 medium watermelon radish, trimmed and sliced thin on a mandolin
- 5-6 basil leaves, chopped
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- Cook barley according to packaging instructions. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk or shake together olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Combine spinach and barley in a large bowl. Pour dressing on top and toss. Add watermelon radishes, basil leaves, and feta. Toss well and serve.