Suitable for a sweet winter snack, this Italian favorite with dried figs and nuts is soft and great with wine or a glass of milk.
A cake suitable for a sweet winter break. Dried figs (and all nuts), are key ingredients in the recipes of the Italian winter cuisine. This soft cake is perfect for dunking in milk or accompanied by a dessert wine.
- 3 eggs
- 100 g (3½ oz-½ cup) raw sugar
- 80 ml (2 ½ fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil or 100 ml (3½ fl oz) organic cold-pressed sunflower oil
- 300 g (11 oz) Kamut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 15 g (½oz) organic baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 200 g (7 oz) dried figs
- 50 g Nuts of choice, chopped
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar and oil.
- Add the flour, vanilla, baking powder and mix.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff with a pinch of salt and, when ready, gently add them to the dough.
- Add dried figs and nuts coarsely chopped.
- Oiled and flour a cake pan (or lined with baking paper) and pour the mixture.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F/gas 4) for 25-30 minutes.