PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
An asparagus frittata with aged Havarti is great for an easy weeknight supper, but special enough for your Easter brunch.
By Heather Kinnaird
This week, I found myself with three pounds of asparagus and more than three dozen eggs, and that was after gifting to friends.
Too much asparagus + too many eggs = FRITTATA for dinner
Most frittata recipes call for Parmesan cheese, but lately we have been LOVING Castello’s aged Havarti, and I do mean loving. It has a buttery, nutty flavor that I find similar to a good Parmesan. We have been snacking on it non stop for weeks, but luckily I had just enough to shave over the top of the frittata before it went into the oven.
This frittata is about as easy as it gets, using only a few simple ingredients you probably already have at home, and makes a delicious light supper as well as breakfast or brunch.
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream (can also use half and half or whole milk)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup shaved Castello Aged Havarti
- pre-heat your broiler
- whisk together the eggs, cream, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper
- Heat butter and oil in an oven proof skillet (10 - 12 inch) over medium heat
- add shallot,stirring until it begins to soften (about 2 minutes)
- add asparagus, and cook until tender (5 - 8 minutes)
- add remaining salt and pepper, stir
- increase the heat to med-high, and add the eggs
- occasionally, lift up the cooked edges to allow the uncooked eggs to flow underneath
- cook 5 minutes (the center will still be loose)
- top with the shaved Havarti, and place under the broiler (about 6 inches form the heat)
- cook 3 minutes, until puffed and golden brown
- allow to cool 5 minutes before serving
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.