There are a lot of variations on the original recipe – and this Brazilian version of Stroganoff is one of the delicious ones.
By Denise Browning
Stroganoff was originally a 19th century Russian dish made from sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with sour cream! But it has become popular around the world, including in Brazil. There are variations on the original recipe– and the Brazilian version of Stroganoff is one of them. Our Stroganoff version includes diced beef or chicken with onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce, and heavy cream, accompanied by white rice and shoestring potatoes.
- 2.2 pounds (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound (about 450 g) fresh common white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ¾ cup heavy cream (sour cream, plain or Greek yogurt, or coconut milk can be substituted for the heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Pat the chicken breasts dry, cut into 2-inch cubes, and season with salt and pepper. In a large stainless steel pan, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the cubed chicken in batches so that it is browned on all sides, then let rest on a plate or bowl after pan-frying.
- Lower the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of oil and the onions, cooking and stirring occasionally until they are soft (approximately 3 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 1 minute. Return chicken to the pan!!! Pour in the wine and let cook until it has been almost completely absorbed. Stir in both the tomato sauce and the chicken stock/broth. Cook, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 40 – 45 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the mushrooms and cook until the they are browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and reserve.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the heat and fold in the mushrooms, heavy cream, mustard, and parsley. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve the Chicken Stroganoff with white rice and shoestring potatoes. Or, as a variation, serve with your favorite pasta. And don’t forget those shoestring potatoes!