Thick and soft like a brownie, these chewy cookies are rich with chocolate.
By Kelley Simmons
This cookie is the best of both worlds. A soft chewy cookie meets a rich and fudgey brownie all rolled into one. These cookies are chocolatey and rich just like a brownie and soft and crisp around the edges like a cookie. I slightly under baked the cookies to get the soft, chewy center. Melt in your mouth on the inside and firm and slightly crisp on the edges.
These cookies only 20 minutes to make from start to finish!
These cookies are a lot like my brownie recipe which you should also try, Chocolate Frosted Brownies.
Be sure to use high quality chocolate for the best result.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add butter, unsweetened chocolate and 1 cup of the chocolate chips to a double boiler. (A bowl set over a saucepan filled with warm water)
- Stir until chocolate and butter have melted. Takes a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, add eggs and both sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip on high until mixture becomes thick and lighter in color.
- Slowly add in melted chocolate on low speed until combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients by hand. Fold in the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of batter onto a silicon baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. (I like to under bake them slightly at 10 minutes)
- Take out of the oven and allow them to cool for a couple of minutes on the sheet tray.
- Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.