A simple stir fry with turnips and turnip greens. Perfect over warm toasted bread and cheese.
By Rinku Bhattacharya
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 pods garlic, very finely chopped
- 11/2 tablespoons split yellow moong lentils (soaked for 1 hour)
- ¾ cup small fresh turnips, halved
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 1 cup of turnip greens, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro to garnish
- Heat the oil and add in the cumin seeds and wait until the seeds begin to sizzle.
- Add in the red onion and cook the onion until it is a pale toffee color and the kitchen begins to smell softly fragrant.
- Add in the garlic and saute lightly for another two to three minutes.
- Add in the lentils and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the lentils are nice and toasty and a few shades darket.
- Add in the turnips and mix in gently. Stir in the turmeric, salt and the red cayenne powder and mix well. Cook lightly until the turnips are soft and shimmering.
- Mix in the turnip greens and cook until the greens are wilted.
- Stir in the cilantro and garnish.