Grill the lemons, grill the avocados and the chicken, corn and zucchini and you are set to enjoy a grilled salad. So much flavor and so many summer foods.
Summer salads kind of have my heart. Not only are they so pretty, but they’re easy, tasty and go with EVERYTHING. Grilling some chicken, steak, or fish? Add a summer salad and you’ve got a full meal.
You know what I’ve just recently discovered though? Grilled citrus! Why has nobody informed me of this phenomenon before?! It’s genius! I decided to throw some grilled lemon into the dressing for this salad for an extra smokey punch of flavor.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Homemade salad dressing will turn your salads from boring to drool worthy. Once you learn how to make a few homemade dressings to keep in your back pocket, you’ll never buy store bought again.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ears corn
- 2 small zucchinis, ¼ inch sliced the long way
- 1 avocado, halved and pit removed
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup almonds, sliced
- Olive oil for brushing
- Lemon pepper or regular pepper
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- Preheat the grill to medium/low heat. Brush the chicken on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and lemon pepper. Grill chicken for about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Add the corn to the grill and cook for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush the lemon and zucchini slices with olive oil. Grill the lemon slices for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Grill the zucchini slices for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Brush the avocado with olive oil and grill face down for a couple of minutes until you see grill marks. Remove everything from the grill and set aside to cool slightly while you make the dressing.
- To make the dressing, add the grilled lemons, shallot, olive oil, salt and 3 tablespoons of water to a blender. Blend until smooth and add more water as needed to thin it out.
- Add the chopped romaine to a large bowl or platter. Top with diced grilled chicken, grilled corn (removed from the cob), zucchini slices, tomato, avocado (diced), and almonds. Drizzle on the dressing and serve!