This is the perfect gift for cheese lovers everywhere. It’s sweet, simple, and you can make it more than a month in advance.
By Eleanor Jones
This isn’t just an ideal gift for a tricky to buy for fella – this is the perfect gift for cheese lovers everywhere. It’s sweet, simple, and you can make it more than a month in advance. What’s not to love?
- 6 red onions
- 2 white onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g light brown sugar
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- Peel and chop all 8 of the onions, cutting them into the finest possible slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and add the onions.
- Cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring gently to prevent burning, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the sugars.
- Add the vinegars and chili flakes and simmer the mixture for a further 30 minutes, until most of the liquid has reduced and the chutney has become thick and sticky.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
- You can serve the chutney immediately, but it’s best if kept to mature for a month or more.