A refreshing orzo salad that packs in the flavor and makes use of leftover chicken.
- 1/2 cup of orzo
- 1.5 cups of chicken stock
- 1.5 cups of water
- 150 grams of grilled chicken, shredded
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced (I used 1 small red & 1 small yellow)
- 7 large kalamata olives, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 big handful of chives, snipped
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of whole grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the water and chicken stock to a boil.
- Add the orzo to the pot and stir for a moment to ensure that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Cook uncovered until the orzo is al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the chicken, bell peppers and olives in a large bowl.
- Mix half of the chives into the salad.
- When the orzo is ready, strain and toss through the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lime juice, mustard, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper to make a light dressing and pour over the orzo salad mixing gently as you go along to ensure it coats the salad ingredients.
- Garnish with the second half of snipped chives and serve chilled.