- 300g (10.5oz) all-purpose flour
- 3g (3/4 tsp) salt
- 100g (1 cup) walnuts (roasted and ground)
- 200g (7oz) butter (softened)
- 60g (1/3 cup) white sugar
- 65ml (1/4 cup) milk (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Prepare the Dusting Sugar:
Start by preparing the dusting sugar. Sift at least 150g of powdered sugar into a bowl and set it aside for later.
- Prepare the Dry Ingredients:
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then mix in the ground walnuts.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar:
In a separate bowl, mix the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon. Mix for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Add Wet Ingredients:
Add the vanilla extract to the butter mixture. Then, gradually incorporate the milk, adding it spoonful by spoonful and mixing well after each addition.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients:
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, one half at a time, and knead just until the dough comes together. Be careful not to over-knead the dough.
- Chill the Dough:
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. This will make the dough easier to handle and help the cookies hold their shape during baking.
- Preheat the Oven:
While the dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Shape the Cookies:
Once the dough is chilled, take small pieces of dough and shape them into logs that are about 1cm (less than 1/2 inch) in diameter. Cut the logs into approximately 5cm (2 inches) long pieces. Using your fingertips, shape each end of the smaller pieces to look thinner, then bend the small log to form a crescent or half-moon shape.
- Bake the Cookies:
Place the shaped cookies on baking trays lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are just slightly golden brown.
- Dust the Cookies:
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then, carefully take the cookies from the pan and roll them in the prepared powdered sugar, making sure to coat them on all sides.
Place the coated cookies on a platter and serve! You can enjoy them warm or allow them to cool completely before serving.
- Be careful not to over-knead the dough, as this can result in tough cookies.
- When shaping the cookies, be gentle and try to keep the thickness consistent to ensure even baking.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Chilling Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Austrian
Keywords: cookies, baking, austrian, almonds, hazelnuts, cookie, romanian, christmas, holiday, simple, vanilla