Delicious, Spanish-influenced Chorizo and Cheese Potato Croquettes, accompanied by a tangy, flavorful red wine sauce.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 5 oz Spanish chorizo, finely chopped
- 8 oz freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
TANGY RED WINE SAUCE
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a small bowl. Stir together 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar, red wine, and brown sugar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking until the sauce has thickened, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together potatoes, 1/4 tsp salt, pepper, chorizo, and cheddar. Set aside.
- Add flour to one bowl, beat egg and water together in another bowl and breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Form 2-inch logs out of the potato and chorizo combination. Dredge the logs first in flour, then egg wash, and finally in breadcrumbs. Working in batches, fry until golden on all sides, approximately 2 minutes, and remove to a paper towel lined plate. Season with paprika salt. Serve with red wine dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: spanish, croquettes, party food, finger food, red wine, red wine sauce, dipping, football, superbowl, hors deuvres, potatoes, cheese, chorizo