You can either serve the sauce on the side, and dip individual spears into the sauce, or toss the spears with the sauce and serve, topped with additional egg whites.
- 1 lb. asparagus, woody ends trimmed and peeled if skin seems thick
- 3 large, hard boiled eggs, shells removed and cut in half, yolks separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 salt cured anchovy filets, boned, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Tie the asparagus stalks in small bunches and stand them up in a high, narrow pan. My pan is not narrow enough, so I use mason jars to take up any excess space, so the asparagus bundles are upright. Add water to about two-thirds up the length of the stalks, the tips should be above the water, and simmer them until tender, about 8 minutes.
- To make the sauce, press the hard boiled egg yolks through a sieve, into a small bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, and then, stirring constantly, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Chop the egg whites and add most of them to the sauce, reserving a bit for garnish. Add the anchovies and capers; season with salt and pepper, and additional lemon juice if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side