With fresh toppings and delicious spices, these pulled pork tacos are just the thing to make when you need to feed a crowd.
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 4-inch chunks, trimmed of excess fat? (keep the skin if you can get it!)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small orange, juiced and zested
- olive oil
- flour or corn tortillas, toasted
- chopped avocado
- queso fresco
- lime wedges
- Rub the pork thoroughly with salt. In a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat and sear the pork in batches until it’s browned on all sides.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Add all the pork back into the Dutch oven, along with the spices, bay leaves, and garlic, and cover the meat 2/3 of the way up with water. Cover and bring to a boil on the stove. Once boiling, place the Dutch oven into the oven uncovered. Cook 3 ½ to 4 hours, until the pork is tender and falling apart.
- Toss the shredded cabbage with orange juice, orange zest, olive oil, and salt to taste. To serve, take a toasted tortilla shell and add some of the carnitas, cabbage slaw, avocado, cilantro, and queso fresco. Serve with a squeeze of lime.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican