This Gluten Free Ricotta Almond Polenta Cake is a great take on an Italian classic. The flavors and natural sweetness lend themselves well to the dish.
- 7 tablespoons 3 ½ ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup honey (divided)
- zest of 3 lemons
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 ¼ cup 5 oz. almond flour (or meal)
- 1 cup 4 ½ ounces fine polenta
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (preferably homemade)
- ½ slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch round spring-form cake pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter, half of the honey, lemon zest, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a standing mixer attached with the paddle attachment. If you do not have a standing mixer, hand mixer would work too.
- Add in the egg yolks and continue to mix until combined or a minute or so.
- Add in the almond flour, polenta, and ricotta cheese and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg whites until softly peaking. You can do this by hand or a mixer (attached with a whisk attachment). While still whisking, slowly drizzle the rest of the honey and mix until well blended.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake mixture in two batches.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan. Sprinkle almonds on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes and then run a knife through the edges of the cake and take it out of the cake pan.
- If you prefer, sprinkle it with powdered sugar and serve.
After 40-45 minutes of baking time, the centre of the cake might look slightly wobbly at first, but it will firm up as the cake cools down.
This didn’t happen to me, but I wanted to make sure to mention it just in case it happens to you.
- Category: Dolci