How to make a peanut butter and raisin bran pie that will blow your mind.
- 1 cup bran flake type cereal, I used Heritage Flakes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 &1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup crunchy style peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanuts, lightly chopped
For the Peanut Butter Glaze:
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons crunchy style peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cereal and milk, set aside for a few minutes to soften.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour,brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture, I used my fingers to rub butter into the flour mixture, a pastry cutter can also be used- the mixture should look crumbly with small bits of butter distributed throughout the flour mixture.
- Using a light hand stir in the peanut butter until just combined.
- Stir the eggs and vanilla into the cereal mixture.
- Add the cereal mixture into the flour/butter mixture, stirring to combine.
- With lightly floured hands knead the peanuts into the scone dough.
- Again with lightly floured hands form the dough into a 9″ circle, dough will be sticky, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, remove and score the dough using serrated knife into 8 wedges, place back in the oven and bake for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a scones comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to a metal cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Re cut the wedges and cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
To make the Peanut Butter Glaze:
- In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until the mixture looks like a glaze that can be spooned on the scones.
- Spoon the glaze evenly over the scones while still warm.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins